It is important to look identify, reduce and review risks if you have formed a group to help the community deal with Covid-19.
When you do this it is called risk assessment and the plan a risk plan. During the current Covid-19, there are many informal groups that need to take simple and reasonable steps to reduce the risk to both volunteers and the people your group are helping in the community. Ask your group to identify someone who feels confident in writing the risk assessment and the risk plan and who has some experience.
Your group must keep people safe. This means taking a ‘reasonable’ approach and not to impose unrealistic demands on volunteers or the group but. A risk assessment involves:
- Identify the potential risks or hazards
- Putting in place measures for reducing the risks
- Share and talk about the risks and the measures you want to take.
- Review and make changes to your risk plan with the whole group.
THE RISK PLAN
- LOOK AT THE RISKS: Anything which could cause harm to someone. Consider what people are doing – what actually happens, not what ought to happen, ask them how they actually go about their work.
- REDUCE THE RISK: Note what you have in place and what you can do to reduce each risk – what can you reasonably do. Focus on the most serious risks and those vulnerable individuals most at risk and those actions which you can do.
- SHARE THE RESULTS: Share the risk plan. Make sure everyone knows what to do and if they have any concerns. These concerns can be shared and added to the risk plan. Have a simple ‘Do’s and Don’ts List’ and share it on social media.
- REVIEW THE PLAN: The more people involved the better. Review it every week or when something goes wrong or you identify a new risk.
A template is given below and examples. Your group will have to carry out their own risk assessment and write down your risk plan.
|RISK PLAN TEMPLATE WITH EXAMPLES|
|Name of group: PontyPandy Will Overcome Corvid-19 Group|
|Name of person doing the assessment:
25 March 20202
|Risk||What we will do about it||Who will do it?||When?|
|Spreading the Covid-19 virus||
|Money is stolen or lost||
|People are not kept safe (volunteers and the people we help)||
|We do not know some of our volunteers||
|This Plan will be reviewed once week group coordinators and shared with the wider group.|
LOCAL SUPPORT IN RHONDDA CYNON TAFF
1 Support from Interlink
or call 01443 846200.
2 Registering Your Group
Please register your group with Interlink by emailing:
Register your group with the Covid-19 page of the Mutual Aid Society UK at
3 Safeguarding: Cwm Taf Morgannwg Safeguarding Hub
Search on-line for Cwm Taf Safeguarding Hub or visit their website page