Brought to you by Interlinks Community Advice & Support Team
Updating you on what you need to know to help you run your community group & organisation
As the heat outside builds grab an ice-cream, take the bulletin into the cool shade and while away the hottest part of the day with all your usual local news, governance updates (p.2), funding deadlines (p.2-3), awards, opportunities (p. 2-3) & events (p.4) . Don’t forget you can also sign up for updates on Jo’s facebook page and more deadlines can be found here: http://www.interlinkrct.org.uk/funding/
News n Views
- ‘Better Pontypridd’: On Thursday 7th June people from all walks of life shared their ideas on how to make Pontypridd a better place to live and work in, at a special event organised by Interlink RCT in partnership with Pontypridd Town Council. The event focused on what people are working on, how they can work together and what support is needed. More events to follow…
- Young people’s powerful views! Young people in Rhydyfelin have been working with Valleys kids to produce a DVD, to express their views on how they feel about what is happening in their area and supported to showcase the DVD at the Tate Modern in London, together with their own theatre piece.
- Welcome to Our Woods: Darllenwch am sut mae prosiect yn Nhreherbert yn defnyddio eu coetir lleol i wneud newidiadau mawr mewn cymuned. Welcome to Our Woods: Read about how a project in Treherbert is using their local woods to make big changes in a community.
- Vol Hours App Launched: The easy way to record and report the incredible amount of time given to our communities through volunteering. VolHours makes it simple for volunteers to record their hours and for teams and charities to keep track of the amazing work being done.
- Local Youth Worker scoops Gold! Tom Addiscott has been awarded Nation Radios Pride of Wales Gold award for community and fundraising work and his commitment to safeguarding local services for young people whilst under threat of redundancy.
- RCT Volunteer recognised at WCVA Volunteer Awards: Edgar Llywellyn of Toogoodtowaste was successful in the Green category. Edgar volunteers six days a week every week, helping people in poverty or on low incomes to benefit from recycled furniture and other household items.
- Does your Organisations Measure Up? On the Inspiring Impact website, you’ll find the Measuring Up! tool for small charities. At each stage of the tool there is a great deal of guidance on what your organisation can improve to better measure its impact. Interlink staff can also support you to use this tool and make improvements. Contact 01443 846200 for more support.
- Visit Pontypridd Muni Arts Centre & the Yard in Treorchy this Summer as part of a social enterprise tour of the UK! #SocialSummer2018 will be running from 1st June to 31st August and is a road trip showcasing social enterprises and community businesses you can visit over the summer months – from museums, theatres and leisure centres to zoos, skate parks and community owned pubs and cafes.
Governance & Charity Commission
- A record 30 people attended Interlinks Essential Trustee Training in May! We’ll be putting this course on again in the Autum with the Development Trust Association Wales Enterprising Solutions Programme which is supported by the Big Lottery.
“Very clear, explained everything that everyone asked for and in depth, I learnt allot”
Charity automatic disqualification rules: prepare for changes to the law: On 1 August the law is changing to extend the scope of who will be disqualified from running a charity. Make sure you read the guidance and apply for a waiver if needed.
- Reminder: THE CHARITIES (PROTECTION AND SOCIAL INVESTMENT) ACT 2016: Includes powers for the Charity Commission to issue official warnings; rules on some aspects of fundraising; and powers for charities to make social investments. Source: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grants & Finance (let us know if you need support applying for funding)
- Imminent! Armistice and Armed Forces Communities Fund: The Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust is running an Awards programme to provide communities with evocative silhouettes to support local events; working with There But Not There. Deadline 30TH JUNE 2018
- Imminent! Garfield Weston celebrate 60 years with an Anniversary Fund offering grants ranging from £30,000 to £150,000 to support Capital projects that will support communities across the UK. Applications close 30 June.
- Imminent! The National Churches Trust funding for projects that are in line with its Aims. Applications are currently being accepted to the following grants programmes: Community Grants of between £5,000 and £20,000 for projects which introduce facilities to enable increased community use of places of worship & Repair Grants of between £5,000 and £40,000 to help with the cost of urgent and essential structural repairs Deadlines 2 July 2018
- The Millennium Stadium Charitable Trust REGIONAL Funding: Applicants may apply for up to £7,500.00 for grants where the beneficiaries come from across one local authority area or more than one local authority. Deadline 20.07.2018
- Funding to support the development of small charities and social enterprisesThe Fore Trust has announced that the next funding round to support the development of small charities, social enterprises and community interest companies will open for registrations 23 July
- Grants to support children’s health and education: Up to £30,000 available to registered charities for projects that improve education and health for children and young people with disabilities, who are sick in hospital or who are life limited (palliative care). Deadline 24 July 2018
- The Landfill Disposals Tax Communities Scheme will support local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill with grants of between £5,000 and £49,999. Deadline 26 July
- Skipton Building Society’s Grassroots Giving Scheme: This year we are giving 165 organisations the chance to receive a £500 pot to help build a brighter future in their local communities. Deadline: 31 July
- Woodward Charitable Trust: Grants focusing on children and young people; prisoners and ex-offenders; disadvantaged women; disability projects; arts outreach work Deadline 31 July
- Pen Y Cymoedd Micro Fund. Community groups, social enterprises, and new/developing businesses are eligible to apply for grants up to £5,000. Deadline 20th August
- Localgiving launches Magic Little Grants Fund: partnered with the Postcode Community Trust to offer over £200,000 of £500 grants to small charities and community groups across the UK. Preference given to projects that encourage social cohesion and help vulnerable or hard to reach groups to overcome barriers to participation in physical activities. 31 October 2018.
- Co-op Foundation is offering interest-free loans for enterprising ideas to improve community spaces e.g. parks and community centres thinking about growing its trading activities.
More funding and awards can be found here: http://www.interlinkrct.org.uk/funding/
- Social Enterprise Start-Up Awards: The judges are looking for new businesses that have taken on social investment to break new ground either in delivering a new service, creating new models of delivery or breaking into new markets. Applications close 6 July
- Gwobrau Dechrau Busnes Cymru ar agor nawr Mae’r beirniaid yn chwilio am fusnesau newydd sydd wedi ymgymryd â buddsoddiad cymdeithasol er mwyn torri tir newydd naill ai er mwyn darparu gwasanaeth newydd, creu modelau darparu newydd neu greu cyfleoedd ym marchnadoedd newydd. Ceisiadau’n cau 6ed Gorffennaf
- UnLtd Do It Award(up to £5,000 Cash Award & Support) Expression of Interest deadline: 1 Aug 2018 Do you have an idea to address a social issue?. EOI’s can be submitted all year round.
- UnLtd Grow It Award(£15,000 Cash Award & Support) Expression of Interest deadline: 1 Aug 2018 You’re a social entrepreneur creating compelling impact and you want to scale. The Grow It Award is for social entrepreneurs looking to scale their venture providing tailored support, access to workshops and networks, and up to £15,000 cash.
- Social Business Wales Awards open for applications: There are 8 categories to enter and winners will receive £1000 prize money, a professional photo-shoot of their organisation, media coverage and a trophy to be presented to them at an award ceremony in Cardiff.
- Pleidleisiwch dros eich hoff brosiect: Mae Gwobrau’r Loteri Genedlaethol ar agor! Vote for your favourite project: The National Lottery Awards are open!
Opportunities & Consultations
- The Office of the Future Generations Commissioner for Wales is looking for an individual or group of people to work with us to review the annual reports of public bodies in Wales subject to the duties of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act.
- Have you used the services of Business Wales? Whether you have used the services or are about to, Business Wales would like to hear your opinion of the support they provide. Ydych chi wedi defnyddio gwasanaethau Busnes Cymru? Os ydych chi wedi defnyddio eu gwasanaethau, neu ar fin gwneud hynny, yna buasent yn falch iawn o glywed eich barn am y cymorth maent yn ei ddarparu. Maent am drafod gyda nifer o fusnesau. Contact email@example.com
Upcoming Training & Events
- Writing Better Bids 10 July 10am–12.30pm @ Penderyn Community Centre to help you write better funding applications. To book email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01443 846200
- FREE essential property advice workshop 11th July 2018: The Coalfields Regeneration Trust are pleased to offer a FREE property advice workshop delivered by the Ethical Property Foundation. Workshop – 10.00am – 1.00pm 1:1 advice Clinic – 1.30pm – 3.30pm FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR TO SIGN UP NOW EMAIL: Natalie.email@example.com
- Pen Y Cymoedd 1:1 surgeries & appointment slots
- Fri 29th June – Morlais Hall, Ferndale, Rhondda 12.00 to 5.00
- Wed 4th July – Cymer Afan Library, Afan 9.00 to 1.00
- Thurs 5th July – Our Offices Aberdare, Cynon 2.00 to 6.00
- Thursday 19th July – Pontneathvaughan Village Hall 9.00 to 1.30
- Contact Pen Y Cymoedd on 01685 878785 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book
- Building Stronger Communities Through Sport. Tuesday 17th July 2018, 10am – 1pm. Ricoh Suite, Cardiff City Stadium (Lunch Included). Please Click Here to Register.
- Welsh Government Social Care Business Pilot Workshop 17 July 9:30am to 12:30am at Merthyr Town Football Club Contact: Ffôn /Tel:03000 253205 e-bost/e-mail: Craig.Greenland@gov.wales
- 2nd All-Wales Charity Governance, Law and Finance Conference Wed 19th Sept, Cardiff.
- Safeguarding Adults: Wednesday, 26 September 2018 @ 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm @ Interlink
Click for Interlink Events & Training Calendar.
If you want to book Interlink for meeting and to deliver training